Sunday, January 13, 2008

Teh Tarik On Hold

I am really a rice and gulai kind of gal, the more "*desa" inspired are the dishes, the more turned on I am by them. But we know what it is like when there's rice...you need a main dish, perhaps a gulai asam pedas or cili padi ( fish or meat), then a sayur dish(maybe kerabu pucuk paku to which you would add pounded dried shrimps for that ooomph or lemak labu), then maybe ikan masin goreng or telur masin rebus, what about ulam-ulam(tenggek burung, bebuas, pegaga, fresh petai, pucuk betik, pucuk ubi), it of course will not be complete without sambal ( belacan or kelapa or tempoyak). And won't it be nice to have that fresh ikan pari that was just hauled off the Straits of Melaka grilled to perfection - cooked crispy on the skin but still moist and tender when you dig under? And who says you have to stop after satu pinggan of rice? It is always polite and customary to "tambah"....and I am very, very polite when it comes to food and eating.

So, after a lot of psyching, tossing and turning, about the changes I need to make to my dietary habits now that I have to "pantang" a few things for a couple of years until my immune system is boosted, I realised that the new "diet-style" is not that bad after all. In the bigger scheme of things they are but minor sacrifices to help myself feel and turn out "good".
All I need to do is eliminate FOR NOW (only) some food items that might sabotage my journey to wellness, change my eating habits (less eating out and be more discriminating about what I order when I do, and most important of all, make some revisions on how my food is being prepared when eating at home.

So as not to have my body feel as though it is being punished, I give myself little exceptions once in a while - like eating out only on Sundays (maybe breakfast at Nirvana or Marmalade) with friends after a good morning walk. Even then it will be thosai and dhall, and plain tea. No roti canai as the Ayur doctor says I should avoid refined white flour( I am already scheming now on how to make my own whole wheat -atta- roti canai if ever I need to succumb to a craving!). No slurpy and frothy teh tarik as I will be driven to wheezing and a semput so serious that it is not worth the Rm 1.20 if I have to be carted off to the ER of Pantai in a RM 400 ambulance.

But as they say, everything in moderation and never, ever feel deprived. There are always alternatives. We just need to be a little creative. So if I have to pantang my favourite beverage of coffee ( in it's many commercial forms) and teh tarik, there is always Ragi Malt which I discovered by chance through the internet. It is nice, and very, very nutritious. I was looking up what Ragi is in Google when I was recently introduced to Ragi Flour, Ragi Puttu, and Ragi Bihun which I have been using in my cooking. No one is able to tell me what Ragi is in English and you don't see it sold anywhere else except in Brickfields. I found out it is "Finger Millet", highly nutritious as it is always milled whole. The grains are tiny like mustard seeds. The taste is rich and nutty. I just loved it and have used it in various ways to cook, whenever I run out of ideas for complementing my rice dishes , with so many pantangs right now.

Ragi Malt is just like Horlicks, and is usually prepared with milk and brown sugar. As I am allergic to milk now, I just used water, boiling it with the ragi flour and adding Manuka honey just before drinking it. I may add a small dose of expresso in future if the craving for coffee hits, and I am sure it will tast as good as conventional cappucino.

It is very exciting, this experimenting with alternative styles of cooking and eating. Had it not been for BC, I would probably not be motivated to try out these new, healthier alternatives. I would not have discovered Sitharam's or Malliga's even though I pass that way countless times whenever I need to go to KL Sentral. So, it has been very enriching and it has really tested and stretched my creativity in the kitchen (usually guided and limited to what is found in cookbooks and what has been handed-down by my mum). I treasure the "hand-me-down" recipes from the family because they are unique and not usually found in cookbooks, and the beauty ( or is it pity?) of it all is they survive even though these hasn't really been formally recorded anywhere .
How does one capture a pinch of this and a handful of that and "sa-cukup rasa"? In any case, now that I have to, even those hand-me down recipes can be creatively modified now to suit my situation.

For Awal Muharam, to celebrate the new year I invited some friends over for tea. My friends know that I am an all-rounder when it comes to food - I am both a goreng pisang and cekodok fan as much as I am a cream tea complete with scones and clotted cream fan. So they did not really know what to expect now that I have so many pantangs, and offered to bring food that they think I can eat. I told them that the idea is for me to "jamu" them for all of their help in the past year and not the other way round. My only request to them is to bear with what I will be serving as Iam keen to introduce them to my alternative and healthier way of preparing my favourite eats. That way they will also know what I had to give up in order to build up my strength and immunity.

I cooked for 10. I was surprised that I had the energy to see through all of the cooking, and later entertaining. Of course the maid helped in the preparation of the ingredients after I showed her how. After much thought and a flurry of activities, we managed to put on the table the following goodies when the guests arrived at 4.30 - Nasi Kunyit with Organic Chicken Curry with potatoes, carrot and tomatoes; Nasi Kerabu ( 15 herbs - most home grown, serunding kelapa and serbuk ikan bilis and not ikan masin) with Sayur Asem ( Javanese dish, my maid's specialty, very nutritious with lots of vegetables); Bubur Hijau-Merah ( my creation - couldn't decide between bubur kacang hijau or bubur kacang merah, so mixed them both and it worked, very sedap!); Ubi Kayu Rebus (served steaming hot with grated fresh coconut and shredded gula melaka - very popular as the last time most had this was probably when they were teenagers!); and the piece de resistance - Wholegrain Cranberry Scones ( made with olive butter, raw sugar and grainy wholewheat flour) served with a choice of olive and real butter for the purists among my friends, with strawberry jam of course. And pink Dragon Fruit to clean the palate while sipping sen-cha (green tea). Yes, that was very brave of me not to offer coffee as at least 2 of my guests are coffee lovers and will always have their brew to make their meal complete. Quite a colourful meal.

It was a success, everyone enjoyed the food and I enjoyed watching them enjoy the food. The Ubi Rebus was a clear winner, it was so simple yet so good. I was overjoyed because I wasn't sure if they would miss the usual cake-house fare that one normally puts out with lots of pretty cupcakes and pastries and fried stuff. My guests left with a little gift I had wrapped nicely for them, a 7-Day Pillbox that they would find handy to take their supplements along when they travel. That too, is very colourful, each 3-compartment daily sub-containers in different colours. The whole thing is about the size of a 250 gram Cadbury bar, which was what I had originally planned to give but thought that the pillbox would be more useful.

A number of the dishes that day was experimental for me, and I will post them in my http://mysecretrecipes.blogspot.com/ blog so I won't forget and in case anyone else is curious to try.
The recipe for the scones is not from Nigella Lawson's or Betty Crocker's or Martha Stewart's. I have this favourite recipe for scones that I got from a tea towel I picked up while visiting Scotland many(20?) years ago. I just needed to modify it a bit to accomodate my present dietary requirements, and it worked fine. I am in the process of experimenting with wholewheat roti canai and buckwheat mee mamak - cuz I do miss my mamak food so!

Note:* I was going to write "Kampung" inspired dishes but chose to use "Desa" instead. I get a trifle annoyed when the word "kampung" had been used in a degratory sense by some ignorant people who probably had not met really nice kampung folks who do not deserved to be insulted by associating the word "kampung" with anything that is less than "cool". I need to get this off my chest and will post an entry soon in my http://lifematters2me.blogspot.com/ blog . Grrrr....

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try Ina Paarmaan seasonings for meat, fish etc etc. The full range of seasoning only available at Cold Storage Summit, Subang Jaya
Try the Brail seasoning for chicken dishes!
Or their Pepper and garlic seasoning for lamb
and many more.
Each bottle is cheap about RM 10

HCI said...

Salam Azmi,

Hey, u pernah try the weekend retreat kat health farm of Dr. Ishak Mohammad in Malacca tak?

I pun sekarang buat roti, cup cakes or muffins, pizza with whole grain wheat. Kisar sendiri organic wheat berries.

And recently bought, buckwheat grains, millets, flaxseed: all organic in KLCC. Ingat nak buat noodles dengan buckwheat, cam soba.

So millet yang in grain form yang I beli tu boleh tak I kacau buat minuman?

Azmi said...

Dear Anon,
thanks for the tip...I will try it out, I assume there's no preservatives used? I am off meat for now so I will try it on my weekly fish dish.
Regards, Azmi

Azmi said...

Dear Has,
waaahh...shopping spree betul ya. Re the Ragi (finger millet) Malt, you will of course need to grind the grain to powder. The original recipe uses milk but I use just water and it is still as rich. The finished product looks and taste like hot cocoa! I add a heaped teaspoon of Ragi flour to a mug, stir in a little cold water the way you do when preparing custard. When it is dissolved, you may add in brown sugar to taste ( I don't like my beverage sweet, so do not add sugar usually). Meanwhile put 3/4 mug (three qtr) milk ( I use ony water)in a milk pan and heat, when it is hot, not boiling, stir in the ragi mixture from the mug slowly ( again macam buat custard). Continue stirring so there are no lumps. Once it boils, it is ready to drink. At this point I will pour into a mug,use a plastic spoon to add a bit of honey and sip it while hot. Delicious. If you use more flour, this can be poured into jelly cups and chilled to be eaten as dessert which you can top with sliced fresh fruits. It is nutritious and yummy. My own substitute for ice-cream since I can't take dairy now.

There's also an organic shop in Bangsar Village 1 that offers all kinds of organic produce, both fresh (vegetables, fruits and bread) and loads of dry stuff. You can get a loyalty card which entitles you to 10% discount on produce and 15% discount at their organic cafe. You can even shop for the vegetables (eg spinach, mushrooms etc) and get them to cook for you on the spot for a small fee so you can feast on it. Maybe you have been there, but if you haven't, give a try the next time you are in KL.

Happy experimenting with your wholewheat and buckwheat noodles, I am sure the result is worth it. I am very happy with my wholewheat and cranberry scones... So not missing 'afternoon cream tea' at all!

I have not been to Dr Ishak's retreat yet. Is this "Hamam" in Alor Gajah?.
Regards, Azmi

HCI said...

Azmi,

Yes the retreat is in Alor Gajah, the 3 days 2 night retreats. We plan to go in Feb, want to learn how to prepare organic compose for our plants.

Among his treatment is vitamin C shot, he he he ramai celeb ambil injection to and if it is safe and good for cancer, why not? Boleh cantik dan reduce risk cancer recurrence.

U are lucky to be in KL with organic shops as describe.

I have to rely on my own organic vege and herbs, and the organic grains I actually saw on the racks in Tesco Kota Bharu.

So next time shopping in KL, tak la berat sangat nak bawa balik.

HCI said...

Azmi, mana resipe scones?

Anonymous said...

To make compost is one of the most simplest exercise.
1 Prepare a wire basket as big as your front bin
2 Place a plastic liner or bag within the bin. Make sure the bottom part of liner is opened. Secure the plastic liner strongly to the bin
3 Place the bin with liner on top of a strong wire support ( strong wire with grill like structure). Make sure the support placed on a number of support pedestals such as bricks at every corner
4 Start filling the compost bin with alternative layers green leaves followed by brown leaves and
black soil and some fertilizers.
5 Repeat the layerings until bin is full!
6 Cover the top of the bin with a plywood or anything to keep the rain from coming into the bin
7 Most important in composting ensure that the contents of the bin are not too wet! Just keep it moist!
8 Leave the compost bags or bins over a few weeks and the compost should be ready

Anonymous said...

Anon, thank you though involve a lot of work and not so easy for your instruction. Will copy and give to my hubby to try.

1 qestion: What about including waste product from kitchen, like left overs, veg and fruit peels, also perut ikan in the layers? Boleh tak?

Anonymous said...

One of the biggest mistake in the preparation of organic composts is the use of WET FOOD OR KITCHEN REFUSE. Anything wet with lots of water must be avoided as it will lead to anaerobic conditions and the failure to aerate the compost. Just use any dry organic wastes such as leaves, papers

orange peels, leafy vegetables ok,.... but not darah or perut ikan

It must be dry or moist but not wet. Shredding to small pieces will accelerate compost process

HCI said...

Anon;

Thanks. Will try.

Azmi said...

Dear Has,
the recipe for wholewheat scones is in my http://mysecretrecipes.blogspot.com blog. Good luck, I love it as the whole wheat gives the scones a nutty taste.
The 3-2 retreat sounds fun. Betul ke nak cuba Vitamin C shot and why is it better than natural fruits and vegetables to prevent ca? I remember Dato' Malek Marican commenting on the practice saying that it has side-effects? Can't wait to hear about your retreat stay in Feb. Whenever I need a "retreat" I take a trip to my kampung, here about 8 km from ALor Gajah. I am filled with a sense of contentment whenever I am here, and a planned 3-2 trip will usually last 2 weeks! Easy to eat healthy here and lots of things to keep me busy although some people can't imagine how I can survive more than 3 days being out of KL and staying in the kampung!
I do my own compost here as a byproduct of our "domestic waste management"! Alam Flora is not here and the A.Gajah town council only covers the town center.
We have a tempat bakar sampah ( well, a few really depending what we are burning) and burn our refuse there. Lots of lovely tanah bakar which is good for topping up the compost pile nearby. We have a wire grid to contain the kitchen wastes we throw into a shallow hole in the ground, then top it with grass trimmings or dry leaves and tanah bakar. Once in a while we would turn the contents over and if we see earthworms in there, it is a good sign! It is really an "accidental compost" heap but so far, it works.
Like Anon says, we don't throw perut ikan ( this gets burned together with other stuff) and air darah ikan gets fed to the ulam2 shrubs.
Btw, air basuh beras is good for plants and we save that to pour onto our turmeric, mint, kesum and cili padi pots. That is my late Mum's secret for her green thumb.
Have fun at the Hammam, tell us all about it.

HCI said...

Dear Azmi,

Thanks for the recipe and tips. What is the side effect of the shot ya?

We plan to go to Penang this weekend, probably meet Dr. Chris Teo there, then the next weekend probably to Dr. Ishak's retreat. I'll take pictures.

Azmi said...

Dear Has,
well to be honest, what I know is what I read in the papers then - damage to veins, bone pains etc- look it up via Google. I have not actually met anyone who complained about side-effects. It was our Health DG that cautioned users. I am sure you will seek further clarification from Dr Ishak Muhamad when you go for the retreat. Where exactly is the location of the retreat? I was in Alor Gajah and asked around, no one could help me. I am interested to see how the place is set up. Must be nicely laid out.

I heard about CACARE support group based in Subang Jaya, and Dr Chris Teo. If you are meeting him in Penang, why not ask him as well? CACARE is more inclined to natural products rather than synthetic drugs.

Have fun, take care.

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes less expensive, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i SDHC[/url] DS NetBrowze)