Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Vote was Cast - The Day After

Bouncer & Blackie: "Hey, that was quick...you were hardly gone 10 minutes! Are you sure you voted correctly, Mama Mi? Put the "X" in the right box?"
(Morning of March 8, 2008 - D-day)


Let's celebrate by being thankful that democracy is very much alive and our PU12 was smooth.....
(Morning of March 9, 2008 - the day after)


The people have spoken. The writing is on the wall. The message seems loud and clear. I have deep respect for the electorate who have exercised their democratic right. And moving forward, we hope and we pray to dear God that we will all contribute to make this nation work - BN component parties, the Opposition and the people ( you and me ) they represent. It is now the day after, I have just woken up after sleeping in all day ( almost, until a friend called to ask me to have tea in Bangsar after Asar) and I was still trying to convince myself that I have not dreamt it all - the election results, that is.


What a day it was on March 8. I woke up early, bid farewell to my 5 cats at 8.30 am and walked to the Sri Hartamas school (3 minutes away) which is the polling station for Segambut. I did not have to queue even though I bumped into a few of my neighbours who had gone to "pangkah".

I was back home well before 9 am and stayed in all day, staying glued to the tv, wired to the laptop and mobile. And did not sleep until about 6 am this morning....


I half expected the outcome but was fully shocked when it happened - that the BN took a severe beating even though it succeeded to form a government under its banner. Except in those 5 states - Kelantan, Penang, Kedah, Perak and...even Selangor!?. I expected small "dinks" here and there but to lose 5 states and losses by senior ministers? Did we see it coming? Perhaps. Did we as a nation do anything about it? We must have, we sent a clear and loud message through loaads of xxxxxxxxx's. We love this country, as we all belong to this country. That is why we have to be honest and spill our guts via the xxxx's to those who will help us run this country better. So that they will run it really well. Not just for them only, but for all the people who place them there.


Here's to acceptance and to a commitment to make this election result the best ever. Not in terms of majority or who has been booted out or swept in. For BN rooters, let's look at it positively that an honest message has been signed, sealed and delivered and the BN can take heed that times have changed. The world around us has changed, our people have changed in adapting to globalisation, so must the way the powers that be run the country, for the people.
The information highway cannot be ignored, it is very much the lifeblood of any organisation. Information and communication is everything. Action and results are merely translation of what have been communicated. For the Opposition who now have been given a strong vote of confidence by the people, do walk the talk and work with powers that be to protect our interest. We voters expect you to work as a team and not to out-do one another, at our expense. Learn the ropes from the veterans.


While the PM is busy forming a new cabinet, I thought I will do the same - form a a new
"Cat-binet" at home. My 3 cats ( Troy, Ashely and Puteri) are really bored in KL and I think if they can talk or vote, they will vote to live in Kampung - more space and freedom to roam. Blackie and Bouncer, the 2 rescued cats are now very dear to me after caring for them all year ( Bouncer since August 2007). They will not be caged as they have always been strays, it will be cruel to confine them. But they are always getting into skirmishes with neighbour's cats and dogs and always in and out of the Vet's clinic and surgery. Very time consuming, not to mention very costly. I could have gone around the world on the vet's fees. I may decide to relocate them to Kampung so they can roam freely there, no dogs. It's just a question of how will it rock the "hierachy" in Kampung where Jebat is "king" being the only resident male cat un-spayed. Will he feel threatened by Blackie and Bouncer, and will they get into skirmishes? Bouncer suffers from a low immunity illness ( even though he is a fat cat) and can't really afford to get too many cuts and infections.


Hmmm...tough decision. But a decision needs to be made for their sake as well as mine, as I get very upset whenever they come home with a torn ear, gaping wounds on their forelegs and scratches galore on their bodies. I feel their pain when they whimper and I do want the best for them, within what I can provide...gotta decide soon...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way did you neutered or spayed your cats?

Azmi said...

Anon,
all my cats have been "altered"/ spayed except for these 2 "domestic strays". Both male cats. I think Bouncer's human is in the neighbourhood and he wandered over to my ouse and refused to leave!