Thursday, July 5, 2007

Chemo # 5 - Day 1

July 5 ( D-day for Chemo #5, Day 1)

Syukur Alhamdullillah we managed to locate a small vein on the underside of my forearm ( "comel" the Onco nurse described it). My Onco was quite concerned and planned to have a warm compress on the forearm if no veins bulged out. As the vein was narrow extra caution was exercised to administer the drug and throughout I felt pain and discomfort and a very strong urge to be sick, but managed to control myself. Syukur Alhamdullillah the chemo was completed relatively smoothly, starting at 10 to 1 pm and ending just after 4. I was admitted for overnight observation and felt less stressed up knowing that help is at hand should I need it. I brought Vik my helper along with me and in fact, I drove to the medical center today, to the surprise of my friends.


I was at the center early to get my pre-chemo blood test done again. At 9 am the lab couldn't locate a vein that will release blood into the syringe. This time, they did not bother to prick more veins on my arm but went straight to my foot and we managed to get a decent sample even though it was painful. I was going to test the vampire style of sucking blood ie if they couldn't get any from my foot, the only sure place would be the jugular vein. Hopefully we will not have to resort to that ever, I am already seeing fangs right now.


I rested well in the ward. My friends came by with some snacks ( a Big Mac for which I had a sudden craving although dinner served was a nice grilled fish) and boiled chinese barley to cool and calm me down. I was feeling hot and perspiring even though the airconditioner was at it's lowest. The stayed until about 8 pm and I tried to have an early night after the nurses checked my bp and indicated that it was a bit low. Again. It was the same the last time.


I thanked the Almighty for his blessing and compassion that saw me through the 5th chemo. All I need to do in return is to be strong and manage the usual side-effects. Michelle brought a powder that really worked for the sores in my lips, she bought it at a chinese sen-seh shop, it is supposed to be ground watermelon seeds, very bitter but minty. After 3 different assortment of cures, the sores seem to have eased up a little, syukur Alhamdullillah. The coconut juice, the gengigel, the orabase and the watermelon seeds powder-no, that is really 4 different cures. Glad they worked together and not backfire in my mouth.




No comments: