Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Day 20 - Pre-chemo blood test

July 3 (Day 20 of cycle 4)

It is day 20 and July 3, the day that I am supposed to turn up for the pre-chemo blood test to check my count since I did not do the normal interim count that was scheduled on June 22. I did not go at 9 am per the appointment time as I learnt that after the blood test, I had to wait at least 3 hours before I get to see my Onco as he always has a crowd waiting to see him. I decided to go close to noon, so that I only have to wait an hour or so to see him when the results come out. By noon or so, he would have seen all the patients who are scheduled for chemo on that day. It took me 4 cycles to realise this and I could have used the time running other errands.


As it turned out, this time it took the nurses at the lab quite some time to locate a vein in my arm from which to draw blood. I was jabbed at 3 different spots (God, it was painful this time) and although they found a vein and tried to suction out some blood, nothing was drawn into the syringe. I hope my veins have not completely closed up like a blind tunnel! After the 3 attempts they gave up and we decided to go for my foot!


My feet look typical of those belonging to someone in their golden age. It seems with botox and all, the face can look "young" and to tell the true age and experience of someone is not to look for wisdom lines in their faces but to look at the raised veins on their hands and feet. For me, the ones in my right hand are hiiden due to water retention and thrombophlebitis. The ones on my feet are yelling "use me, use me..!". I was worried that the needle might hit a bone in my feet as the feet has the most number of bones in our body and I fear that the nurses might hit one and break a needle. They sprayed something cool on the spot they were going to puncture and very soon, they were able to draw the minimum required to be tested. What a relief. I can't imagine where else they could jab to get blood if they couldn't get it from my feet.


I saw my Onco at about 1 pm and he said my blood count is good, 3.8. He said as long as I eat well leading up to July 5 I should have a good count for the chemo. He did suggest as a precaution in case it dips due to an infection in the next 2 days for me to get just one shot of Neupogen. My back twitched when he said that and I told him tak nak, as I get back pains and am curious to see if my body can manage the next chemo without chemical aid. I have to learn to be less dependent on chemical aids now that in 6 weeks time, my system have to cope totally on its own after the final chemo cycle. He said ok, then to be very sure that I eat really well for my blood.


After having said that, I showed him the ulcers on my lips and him that Gengigel from my dentist works well for ulcers on the tongue and in my mouth but not for lip ulcers which continue to expand and hurt like hell. He presribed something called Orabase that I need to apply thinly on my lips and I must not rub it into the sore, just slap on a thin layer and leave it to stick and blend to my tissues.


I met up a fellow cancer survivor for lunch ( or coffee rather as I can't eat with Orabase on my lips) and we talked about the upcoming convention as she was going to present a paper. She went back to work while I stayed behind to attend the launching of the Breast Care Center at the medical center. Datuk Seri Sharizat Jalil officiated and it was indeed a meaningful occassion as this will be the first all-in-one Breast Care Center in Malaysia. A private charity donated a goodie bag to invited cancer patients which contained thoughtful gifts which include among others an MP3 player with inspiring music and motivational messages that have been downloaded.


I didn't stay for the hi-tea to join in the small talks as I can't even talk properly, let alone smile. I did make many new friends while waiting for Sharizat to arrive and we will be trading stories via sms or at future events in BCWA. I met a motley crowd of survivors, ranging from 1 year-30 years survivorship. And their tips vary that I end up telling myself that no 2 survivors are the same and at the end of the day, one must have faith to be well and the mind and faith can team up against any invaders, seen or unseen. One lady told me to pantang durian, another said no pantang and she had been eating durians, have survived more than 18 years and did not even do chemo, just radiation. One said she was a stage 1, small lump and no lymph affcted lymph nodes and at 40 could get away without chemo. I had a similar prognosis, but because I am menopausal and in my golden years, chemotherapy is highly recommended.


I realise that it I talk to too many people I will end up confused and disheartened. Of course to be fair, I wouln't have met those who did not do chemo and who did not pantang and who succumbed to the disease even after 2 of the 3 adjuvant treatment. I then decided to chat with people I met about other things.


I had to leave early as my nephew was coming by and I had taken the key to the front gate along. I told my helper this is because I didn't want her to admit into my house any conman who would claim to be my relatives as she is still new. Dinner was kacang botol, fish gulai and soup tulang, with lots of semi-fresh dates apparently also good for blood. Another survivor friend recommended Pisang Emas, which apparently helps with blood count. Must go get some so that Insya Allah, I will be on schedule for the 5th chemo on 5th July.

No comments: