Friday, July 6, 2007

Day 2 Cycle 5 - Birthday In Situ At Home

July 6 (Day 2 of Cycle 5)


I woke up very thankful to the Almighty that I am feeling fine today which marks another year as a, I hope, useful human being. My Onco popped in to check how I was doing and confirmed that I should be fine and was going to give me some sleeping tablets if I need to cope with sleep better. I declined as so far, syukur Alhamdullillah, I have been sleeping quite well. He reminded me about the warm compresses so that we should be prepared for the 6th cycle in 21 days time.


I received a lot of text messages from my friends and close siblings and their kids wishing me happy birthday. A friend and her son surprised me with a visit in the morning and God Bless her, she brought some gifts that will make my planned trip to Bali "complete" - a floppy hat to cover my bald scalp in case I forget!


I was able to drive home slowly and did not attempt to make any detours along the way. I just can't wait to get home. We found Blackie the stray cat waiting for us, wondering where we had gone. He was limping, no cuts or wound but limping slightly. He must have been in a fight with the tiger-sized cat that belongs to my back neighbour, we call him Kuning. Kuning must have tried to pinch some of the food we put out for Blackie in the automatic feeder and Blackie must have put out a fight, and got whacked in return.


Vik sorted out the stuff from the hospital and I got myself organised for the side effects to surface. Despite the Emend, Novaban and Dexamethasone, I still felt queasy, so imagine if there weren't any aids. I felt like Bubur Kacang so Vik made some. My late Emak swore by Bubur Kacang for constipation, so I am trying that out as well. My nephew came by and stayed until maghrib. A close friend had dropped a dvd that I had been wanting to watch "An Inconvenient Truth" (The Al Gore effort) so at least I know I have something interesting to watch.


Some friends were planning to take me out to dinner to celebrate but I felt a bit tired to be out and about, so instead a few close ones came by with a cake and candles and we celebrated "in-situ" right at home. It makes me feel all warm inside knowing that they had come straight to my house after work and I did not have to feel alone on my birthday. Not that it is a grand occassion, but for me it is a day of thanksgiving, grateful to be alive and knowing there are people who cared enough. I miss my dad who would usually insist on a cake and pulut kuning if he is around, but alas.


Syukur Alhamdullillah for another year and Insya Allah, I pray for many more good years to come to be with those who have touched my life in meaningful ways.

No comments: