Friday, April 20, 2007

Jab, Jab, Jab!


Ashley saying "what.....you lost your phone.....again!?"

Day 10 post first chemo (April 20)


I was pricked twice today. The first was for the Lab to take a small tube of blood, sample to be analysed. About an hour later, another jab( this time on my tummy of all places) to administer subcutaneously an agent that is supposed to boost my white blood cell count which apparently was very low (2.4 whatever it is vs 4-11.) The low count was apparently expected due to the hammering by the WMDs and at the moment no one can tell me if there is anything I can include in my diet that might help the count to stay at a comfortable level. My other counts (Hemaeglobin / Platelet) are not too bad perhaps due to the tons of dark green vegetables that I have been including in my diet.



The granocyte which was administered will help to boost up my WBC over the next 10 days or so in preparation for the 2nd chemo cycle. Another blood test will be required just prior to each subsequent chemo cycle. Which means for the 5 cycles to come, I would need to be pricked 20 times! In the meantime, I need to avoid sick people and crowded places which may hide sick people. Just when I was planning to hit the town again!!. I was given 2 very strong painkillers as the booster shots might give me aches and pains especially in my back. This procedure will be repeated tomorrow when I have to go to the medical center again to receive a second jab of Granocyte. How I wish they would invent a tablet that I can fizz in water and drink up just like we do Redoxon. (The onco-nurse did ask me if I was willing to do it myself at home, ie inject the thing into my stomach. I think she is mad.)



I was advised by a learned friend who lost a lot of blood during childbirth that her Mum used to feed her with Hati Lembu Masak Kicap which she had eaten with gusto to help build up her blood. We went to the BV Village Grocer to look for some but I had to make do with Chicken Liver. As I always seem to encounter mishaps when frying anything and can't afford to have blisters or cuts while on treatment, I decided to turn that into a masala, using Ms Khoo's Masala Mix. Not too bad, I must say.



While shopping for the liver at BV, I passed a crowd thronging a corner of the concourse where a Health Food promotion was held. All kinds of organic products were on display and for sale at attractive discounted prices. All kinds of grains, nuts, dried fruits, sea weed, sauces, pastas, multigrain rice, cooking ingredients as well as all kinds of soya products. To think that just 2 weeks ago I was all over Bangsar and Sri Hartamas to find some of the stuff which are now nicely assembled in one place and at much more affordable prices too! I bumped into an old school friend who hailed me over to join her for "lunch" as the promoters were also dishing out nice servings of vegetarian sushi with mushroom and vegetable udon. She said she never refuse a free lunch, and by the size of the servings one can have a proper meal there. They also serve some pudding to top it off! I bought some dried figs, sea weed (nori sheets), multigrain pack and a bag of Baking Soda ( which I read somewhere is good to gargle with should I break in blisters in my mouth).



I know I shouldn't be in a crowd but everyone looked fine and healthy to me and the product on offers were too attractive to resist. In any case, I am keen to experiment with new ingredients to supplement my new eating regime. As I kept being gravely reminded, for those diagnosed with Cancer, chemotherapy is just the beginning. What follows is a necessary "Lifestyle" change if one is to be successful in combating and keeping the disease at bay and for it not to recur. And at the same time equally inportant to avoid other chronic illnesses from taking hold. No point being cured of cancer but contracting all the other life threatening diseases in return.



"Lifestyle" is such a general word and can encompass a spectrum of considerations. I will now need to really stop, pause and analyse which of my lifestyle habits and practices are the main suspects leading to my unbidden lump. Unless I know what these guilty suspects are, how would I know what changes need to be made? Seriously, since I will be spending quite a bit of time on the couch now(under my own roof that is), I have all the time to analyse my existing lifestyle and figure out what needs to change, if any.



As the next 10 days or so should be problem-free other than ensuring no blisters in my mouth and eating well while my body repairs itself, I should be able to sit quietly and reflect each of the following possible "contributors" to development and growth of Cancer(according to "Prescription for Natural Healing" book I just found buried in my bookshelf. I bought it ages ago):
Three Major Categories:
1. External (environment - unhealthy living or workplace environment and
exposure to air and water pollution, chemicals, pesticides and herbicides)

2. Internal factors - include both genetics aninfection

3. Lifestyle factors ( that we can most readily and personally control)

-Diet

-Physical Fitness

-Stress Level

-Emotional Wellbeing

-Mental Wellbeing

-Spiritual Wellbeing

-Social Wellbeing ( I did not think this is important but the book listed socioeconomic status as a lifestyle factor accounting for 3 % of cancers. Well in the USA anyway)

Scientists believe that lifestyle factors account for the largest proportion of cancers and that our lifestyle can affect our susceptibility to the disease.


Any compromise in any of the above could affect how I manage the cancer, and any other chronic disease for that matter. A real hard look inside myself to see where I need to reform, if only to ensure a healthy body and a balanced mind that should be positive and responsive towards combatting any disease, whether known or unknown. I think this is long overdue as I have never consciously looked at my life so critically with the objective of identifying what needs to change. If I had, it was more of a where do I go from here kind of approach, never examining the past but more of looking at things now and where to go from now. In other words, it has always been a go,go,go kind of approach, which in retrospect, can be unhealthy, or dangerous even, because I would be unaware of carrying along with me some things which are best left behind, if only I had known what they are.

I have all week next week to dwell and do an introspection into each of the factors and see what I can come up with. I have to do and I must do it. Insya Allah. I am not expecting any major crisis except continue to ensure no mouth sores, and alas, the inevitable hair-start-to-drop moment. I am not as fearful of that as no pain is involved and I have met enough cancer survivors to know that hair will grow back after all the cycles are completed. Insya Allah..


So much for the quick shopping at BV. I dropped my handphone somewhere between Cafe 1920 enroute to Village Grocer enroute to the Health Food stand and enroute to the parking lot. I discovered it was missing upon reaching home. I have a choice of getting really upset because all my contact numbers are in there (no backup anywhere!), favourite snapshots and appointment dates and internet links or I can jump up and celebrate the fact that I have every excuse now to get a more canggih handphone/pda. In future I don't have to hide my phone if it rings when I am in the company of tech-geeks or even phone slinging school kids for that matter. One look at my phone and I can almost see the thought crossing their minds.."aiyo auntie, get a new phone lah...". But the phone has served me well, and allowed me to do everything that I need in a mobile - call/receive call, shoot sms test, e-mails, browse the web/blogs,schedule appointments, set alarms and reminders, record songs, capture and transfer images, videotape my cats or any catch-someone-red-handed moments,plus more..So tell me again why I need to spend more than a grand on a handphone?


I decide that I will not allow this to upset me. At least it was not my Laptop that I lost. Now that would have been a very different story altogether. I really should pat myself on the back for having created the opportunity to buy a new phone. The only thing is now nobody would believe me that the Fungshui plant in my porch had actually flowered! I no longer have the proof!

3 comments:

bibliobibuli said...

azmi - sending you my love. am so sorry for what you are going through.

Kak Teh said...

salam, thanks for the visit to my blog and yes, of course i remember meeting you! I hope yr sis is enjoying her holiday there.am sorry sorry to read about what you are going through. Take very good care of yourself and our prayers for you.

Azmi said...

Bib/K.Teh-thanks for your good wishes. During this period, when sometimes I need to stay put in the house it is comforting to know that all I need are my fingers to do the walking on my laptop and in the web!Reading your blogs keeps my mind in gear...