Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Simple Life


My sis and her daughter flew back to the UK this afternoon after a literal flying visit to see how I was coping with my first chemo. She arrived on the day I started my treatment and left today which is the 7th day to start work a few hours upon her arrival in London. Aziah confessed that she is no domestic goddess (my mum doesn't really cook, says Jannah!) but while around she made sure I feed myself really well. Not to mention the bagfuls of fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts to snack on when my appetite went missing during the nausea stage.
Although accustomed to living on my own (by choice), I can see how having
some company when you have the blues can help. The right kind of company of course. With her back in the UK, I know that my friends will be popping in to check on how I am doing and they really need not worry too much as I have managed to get temporary daily help to run the chores. And I will not be alone in the house at night.
Based on the "schedule", days 7 through 10 will be a period when my white blood cell count will be at their lowest, my immunity suppressed and I need to be careful of contracting any infection. Go near someone with a cold and it will be pneumonia for me. Have a small cut or insect bite and it might get infected or septic. So, clean body, clean hands, clean food and naturally clean thoughts as well. I have decided I will stay in and ride this out at home and not go out just yet. Unless there is an emergency - fever, or any other complications that might require a visit to the ER of the medical center.
So far so good. I take my temperature twice a day using the digital thermometer that is now gracing the counter top in the bathroom. I was advised to go straight to the ER if my temperature reads 38 Celcius or more.
I need to eat really well and that is not a problem. I am a foodie, love food and can talk about food any time of day with just about anyone and of course I love experimenting with dishes, using simple and basic ingredients. I follow my tastebuds and instincts and whatever I can recall of my late Mum's modus operandi in her kitchen.
I love simple food, good ole plain home-cooked and kampung dishes. But cancer can be quite a complicated disease, and despite a typical Asian diet I am hit by a disease which is linked to Western diets high in saturated fats and dairy products. What I need to ensure now is to consciously get the balance right and make doubly sure that my carbo,proteins, fruit and vegetables are in the right proportions to provide the greatest benefit.
The good news is I have regained my appetite like never before. Athough I might be a real dumpling by the time this is all over, this is much preferred to a scary scenario where an anorexic me is trying to put things and keep things in my mouth. I am wondering if it is the steroids (one of the anti-vomitting/nausea medication provided to me) that is doing it. Whatever.
For now I am grateful as food is my tool, weapon, ally and my best bet in ensuring my body will recover in time for the next chemo cycle. The only (but very slight) problem is, my tastebuds may have been affected and may be deadened somewhat as food tastes rather bland. Even the all-time favourite, Lai Chee Kang Panas tastes just like diluted cough medicine.
And horrors, because of that, I crave for real spicy food and I mean of the cili padi kind. As the blisters have not appeared yet in my mouth, a confidante says "Go for it!"That's all I need, a little encouragement. But at the same time the Doctor's voice played in my ears..."No greasy, spicy food"...and he had even scribbled it on his notepad for me to take home.
At the moment, I am having a pep talk with myself on what is right for me. Do I fall in to the temptation and be cured of the craving once and for all, or equally important, play it safe and eat and eat and eat till kingdom come and still harbour that cili padi craving day in and day out?
I am dreaming of gulai masak lemak ikan(or telur or ayam kampung) cili padi and kerabu pucuk paku, or pucuk pegaga with crispy fried tempeh and yes, just a teenie weenie piece of fried ikan sepat. And I happen to know that the Restoran Selero Negori at Jalan 7 nearby do have such offerings! We shall see.....

2 comments:

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Assalamualaikum,

Dearest Azmi,

I am keeping track of you and your progress and am very, very happy to hear that you are coping very well, ALhamdulillah. You will always be in my prayers....

Continue to take good care of yourself, okay? May Allah continue to shower you with His blessings ...Amin

Azmi said...

Wa'alaikum salam Umi, thank you for your prayers. God Bless you!Insya Allah the same pattern will repeat for future cycles so I know what to expect! This blog is my outlet for whatever I am feeling during treatment and I am sure if I were to read back all my entries 5 months from now I may be able to see a pattern, a mood or even some insights to my inner thoughts. I write without self-censorship nor apply any editting as I want to read my own raw honesty into it and possibly identify some of my inner demons.

I have also been keeping alive another blog, sort of W-I-P, but not thinking of publicising that yet. I do most of my writing in there as it is a very convenient way of capturing much of my creative thoughts and travel titbits.