Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Babies in Melaka



Putri (top)
and my boy, Troy, below.
Picture is when
he is at his best......note the long,cool,gaze.
It is day 8 post-first chemo, and the good feeling stays. I had enthusiastically marked "FG" to indicate "feeling good" in the treatment journal I am keeping. I am also very happy to know that a few new friends I met who are undergoing treatment are doing quite well, save the expected side-effects and fatigue. I have 2 days to go before going to the Medical Center on Friday to get my FBC done. Hopefully based on all the nourishing intake I will show a good count as this will mean the next chemo can be done on schedule. I can't believe that I am actually looking forward to get the 2nd cycle started! Infact, I can't wait to get through all the cycles because.....
I miss my babies - Ashley, Putri and Troy....they were all lovingly "deported" to Melaka to stay under the care of my brother. Ijan who is staying in our traditional family home in Masjid Tanah has been so kind to me. I imagined prior to treatment that I might have fainting fits and may be going in and out of hospital and might not be in a position to care for them. The cats require a lot of care and TLC, a past time that made starting the day just right for me. They helped to patch up the vacuum created by the passing of my late Mum.
Some friends shuddered when I shared with them what is involved in having pet cats(How do you get a life?). First thing in the morning, give them cuddles and talk to them (in English, though swear words when necessary can be in any language or dialect). Then BEFORE I feed myself, I feed them first. A saucer of freshly reconstituted pet milk (if I have the time) or cold milk from the fridge when in a rush. Replacing the Litter Tray comes next and I save time and effort (but incur higher costs) by just tipping the whole tray into a disposal bag, wash and disinfect the tray and let it dry in the sun. A fresh Litter Tray is then placed in their cage. I will coax them into their "condo-cage" under the porch ( 3 levels so they can have a "floor" each.). Before I leave the house they will get their nibbles for the day in the cage. When I return, they get proper meals. I think I prefer this life to one of superficial relationships with fair-weather-friends who are around in good times but disappear completely from my radar when I hit a crisis.
In Melaka, Ijan has to take over that role. I tell myself once the maid arrives, I will ship my babies back to KL because I miss them so much now that I am better and not pre-occupied with nausea and a gooey tummy. I have a sneaky feeling that this is one-sided, and that they are probably living it up in Melaka, with plenty of fresh air and loads of space to run around in. And there are the birds, squirrels, hens and roosters and if they are lucky, some monkeys and maybe even a wild pig (so claimed our neighbours!). What a contrast to the cars, Mat Rempits, school buses and Alam Flora contingent that parade on the road infront of my house in KL.
Ashley is especially close to me and very "manja". She responds with a friendly miaow which sounds like "Uhuh!" whenever I call her name. Putri is very aloof and walks regally with her tail upright, and all I get is a stiff upper lip purr if she decides to respond to my call. As for my boy Troy, the hefty-sized altered cat, he is one spoilt darling. He eats with his front paws in the feeding tray and
actually does an Oliver Twist - he always asks for seconds!
Then there are others, courtesy of the Kampung folks, 99.0% of them are my relatives. My late Mum loved cats. So we will find assorted strays at the front gate. I took after her and feel really sorry for these critters. Honestly, I feel more sorry for stray cats than stray human beings loitering the streets and warungs begging for scraps. Call me cruel, but I will turn away beggars, blind or otherwise, but will order a banana leaf meal (rice and fried fish) for a stray cat should one approach my table.
We have quite a menagerie as Mum kept company with cats under her care while her offsprings live their lives in towns and far away. If the much anticipated weekend visits did not materialise, she had the cats, the maid and my Dad for company. That was why, no matter how tired, busy or pre-occupied I was back then, I made it a point to have my meals with them over the weekends. I knew how much my company meant. For me, what I got in return was the satisfaction of seeing them age really peacefully and with dignity. And of course delicious home cooked meals of fresh fish and seafood just hauled from P.Balak or P.Kundur and slurp...all the Pasar tani ulams imaginable (tenggek burung, pucuk mangga, seribu duri, peria laut, the list is endless!). And freshly slaughtered ayam dara (virgin kampung chicken) deep fried to perfection "Indon" style with just the right hint of ginger, turmeric and freshly pounded spices. Naturally with freshly pounded sambal made with belacan from Tg.Kling! Oh my God, right, I deviate....pusing, pusing cakap pasal food juga.
Let's get back to the subject...
At last count, excluding my babies, there are probably more than 10 cats taking refuge there. There's Aramis, Cicak, Ms. Gigit, Wati, Tompok, Cat, Jebat, Goldie, Devi, Milah, Jebat, Butler and Li Po. There were others but some may have migrated to the neighbourhood or even catnapped as they are all well cared for, well fed and spayed. Tiger, Wira-Superboy, Tuah may have either wondered in search of adventure or been catnapped. Kuning 1, Kuning 2 and Chengho were flattened on the road right infront of our house as traffic can be busy at weekends, and God knows what they were looking for there when they have more than enough to eat in the house.
Our compound is quite big, typical of a Kampung setting, so they have plenty of space to roam. And they are everywhere, on the cars, under the cars, sometimes inside my car. They can be up on the Rambutan or Jambu trees or just playing among the tall grass around the house. We would leave bowls of fresh water under the kitchen porch and at meal times, literally sound the "gong" by hitting 2 feeding bowls together. At the very sound they would come in from all directions and you have this shrill chorus at various pitch as though they have not eaten for weeks even though the last feeding time was only a couple of hours before. We buy catfood in bulk, on a monthly basis with weekly treats of boiled fresh tuna or chicken. Now I have just read that pets can get cancer too and that we should include broccoli and carrots in their diets. Well.........!?!
I am very very grateful to Ijan for managing them. If you like cats, it's no skin of your nose to do all that. But if you don't, it can be a nightmare and a real labour of love for whomever you are doing it for. And I think Ijan likes cats.

3 comments:

HCI said...

Dear Azmi, nasib baik saya tak balas as En Azmi dalam blog saya.

Your hpe: A Stage 1, Grade 2, ER/PR +ve, HER2-ve, LI/VI=Absent. Tumour size 1.5cm.
It was a cancerous lump and the report described it as an Invasive Ductal Carcinoma(IDC with DCIS).

is good. However, that is not a reason to return to previous way of eating and living. The threat is always there. It is good to be fearful and in constant awareness of the need to be fit and healthy.

HCI said...

by the way, your cat looks like my Jonni.

Azmi said...

Dear Profs, thanks for dropping by and the reminder about not reverting to a pre-cancer lifestyle. I am into examining that these days and will want to put a finger or several fingers on which of the "Lifestyle" factors have been causing me grief and caused me to crash headlong onto this cancerous path.
Your blog is highly informative and inspiring based on your own research and practice..I will definitely keep up with it!