Saturday, May 12, 2007

Have Faith.....

May 11 & May 12( Day 9 and 10 of cycle 2 )



May 11 (Day 9)

My temperature registered okay at 37.2C this morning, better than the 37.5C of the day before. Normal body temperature is 37 C. I am due for my FBC tomorrow (Saturday May 12 which is 10 days post-cycle when the WBC is expected to dip at its lowest count). I called up my Oncologist DDIW to check if I could defer my FBC to Monday instead of on Saturday so that I could make a long weekend trip to Melaka, and if a "hovering" 37.2-37.5 body temperature is okay since it is still within the 38C danger zone. He was a bit concerned that I was feeling feverish despite temperature still below 38C and suggested I called in today to get my FBC done, a day ahead of schedule.


I did that and was at the Medical Center by noon. They did an urgent FBC, and noted that even on the 9th day my WBC is already quite low at 2.9 . His instruction to his Onco Nurses was that if below 3.0, I need to get my boosters started the same day. So , I ended up having my FBC done earlier not later, and the same with the booster shots which started today. He also prescribed a 5 day course of antibiotics as a precaution to keep whatever infection at Bay. I was also required to return on Saturday for the second booster (Granocite). This time because I will be on antibiotics too, the doctor did not prescribe any painkillers. As it turned out, I did not experience any back or muscular aches.




The fatigue returned! It was unbelievable that just the day before I was all over town, full of energy and today I relapsed to being a toy with a spent battery! It continued the whole day. That spelt it out for me that I have to expect the unexpected and deal with the unexpected when it does. I will not have the energy to drive to Melaka now as the boosters and antibiotics may make me drowsy, so I cancelled my plan to go back for the weekend. My brother will come down to KL instead. But I know the fatigue may soon pass, and should it return yet again, I should not be too disappointed. Cancer is teaching me to expect uncertainties no matter how well I had planned or prepared for anticipated outcomes. As with Life, ups and downs are also temporary and no matter how well one plans, one must expect the unexpected and deal with it without fuss. Even the best laid plans by mice and men can go haywire and higgledy piggledy.



I came back in time for lunch when my friend brought over freshly made Kerabu Kacang botol and Kerabu Pucuk Paku. My throat was actually beginning to feel a bit tight and while it wasn't painful to swallow (yet), I suspect the heat of both the weather outside and of that building in my body (hot flashes) was beginning to manifest itself. I had also accidentally bitten the right side of my tongue close to my premolars and that is beginning to feel slightly sore. A small sore or tongue ulcer might be developing and I will need to manage that soon before it gets worse and infect my whole mouth. If it does, how to eat well, mah?






My Boy Troy says: " Alaaa...Mama Mi..we thought you are coming to see us and Atok!.... I have already placed myself in your shoulder bag so that I can hitch a ride to KL....are you sure, and absolutely sure, that you don't want to be with us on Mother's Day........??What will Cat-Moms do when their cats ain't around on Mother's Day? Go to the Dogs?"





Aaah well....I need to remind myself again and again, expect the unexpected and deal with it. After dealing with Cancer, dealing with Life should be a gift to be thankful for, no matter what else Life may bring. Waking up in the morning is a gift, as cliched as it may sound.


I spent the rest of the day resting and trying to decide if I want to participate in the street Garage Sale that a realty company is trying to organise for our area. I visualised myself rummaging through my lockers and store cupboards to identify what I can let go. There are so many things in the house that I have not been using or will ever need to use although I have been slowly "spring cleaning" in the last couple of months. This is a good time as any to do a stock take, and retain items that I really cannot do without. At first glance, I can certainly create a lot more physical space around the place if
I let go of non-essentials. And I will need to re-define essentials and non-essentials within the context of the recent life-changing event in my life.



May 12 (Day 10)


I slept rather well through the night and woke up feeling better. However due to the rather frequent diet of liver (calf/chicken) to boost my blood count, my bowel movement was fouled up again, although I took the precaution of taking some prune juice last night and again in the morning! I didn't like this at all as it will give me a "constipated" look all day.


Something rather nice happened while I was getting ready to go to the Medical Center for my second/final booster shot. Syabas called me! It seems they should be able to revert to me by middle of next week on whether my appeal is successful or otherwise. I offered to be at their review if they need me to be there to personally present my case. They indicated they will let me know if so. Ya Allah, I hope they will be fair and reasonable and waive the full amount...



After getting my booster shot done, SMM who accompanied me to the Medical Center suggested we grab lunch and do some retail therapy within the airconditioned malls in Bangsar. I have not done that recently and since it was such a hot day, I fell for the idea. We must have walked around for hours. I had to rush home as a friend's daughter was going to send some books over to the house. I was also planning to have some friends over for dinner as Kakak had cooked Kari Ayam Kampung with Nangka Muda, and it is not easy to find such a dish in KL. Jackfruit/Nangka is a highly recommended fruit for Blood type O and is supposed to be nutritious, although too much of it, according to my experienced older relatives, can give you indigestion.




I don't know how we managed it, but the 4 of us had dinner at my place, then relaxed a while watching TV and by about 9 pm decided that we needed to go out for supper because we haven't done that in a long time. We found ourselves tucking into Tandoori Naan with Keema, Dhall (Pakistani style which is much, much tastier than the local Dhall) and Tandoori Chicken!
Talk about bottomless stomachs! It was close to midnight when they dropped me off and Kakak was already asleep.



Tomorrow is Mothers Day. I know I will miss my Emak very much and I hope I will be able to pay a tribute to her in my next posting.

3 comments:

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

Hello Azmi,

I am glad you're feeling better.
Today is Mother's Day.
AlFatihah for your Emak.

Take care!

HCI said...

Azmi, apa halnya count you senang nak turun ya? ni i bawa my recipe kat you as answered in my blog;

Ini recipe nya: but you can modify it as you wish. He he he, may be can include hempedu bumi as one of the leaves, sure pahit habis bubur you. Use brown rice, much healhier.

1 cup of brown rice soaked overnight
A collection of selected leaves [Daun Kayu] – Pucuk Midin 1 ringit, 4 Kadok leaves, 4 Pucuk Ubi, 4 Kesom Plants, 10 Cekak Manis leaves and others as you wish.

Boil with water; the amount as preferred consistency for porridge.

Add in blended ingredients:

4 red onions
3 cloves garlic
2 cm ginger, galangal optional
2 fishes – taking the flesh after grilling

Add in 1 tbsp. pounded peppercorns
Add in either sweet potatoes or potatoes cut in cubes

Lastly, add in coconut milk about 1 ringgit and a tbsp. of nyior gula (pounded toasted coconut)
Add salt to taste. Throw in finely sliced ginger and half tbsp. fenigred seeds.

Serve hot and garnish with coriander leaves, or whatever raw leaves to add the natural goodness to your lambuk.

You can substitute the fish with meat, but meat goes well with spices such as used to make soup, apa orang kata, rempah kasar? - tumis.

Pucuk midin juga sedap dibuat sayur kuah lemak, masukkan tumeric, dan ubi, rempahnya, bawang merah, bawang putih, ikan tumbuk, lada hitam tumbuk, garam, santan.


And this is Dr. Azmi's recipe of bubur lambuk:

Bahan bubur Lambuk

1 Beras 3 put kecil

2. Bawang kecil 10 ulas potong or blend

3. Bawang Putih 10 ulas potong or blend

4. Halia 2 inci ketuk

5. Lengkuas 2 inci ketuk

6. Isi Ikan kerisi/kembong/selayang bakar 3 ekor , lagi banyak lagi sedap

atau ikan bilis 1 cawan tumbuk/blend

7. Isi Ayam cincang 200 gm

8. Isi ikan kering (ikan talang) 100-200 gm baker dan blend

9. Udang kering 100 gm blend/tumbuk

10. Pucuk paku merah 2 ikat siat/potong kasar

11. Daun kunyit 2 helai besar siat/potong kasar

12. Daun Kadok 6 helai siat/potong kasar

13. Daun kesom 30 sen siat/potong kasar

14. Daun keledek/pucuk manis/selasih 30 sen siat/potong kasar

15. Santan pekat 1/2 kg kelapa

16. Asam keping 6 keping

17. Serai 2 batang

18 Serbuk Lada hitam kasar 2 ½ sudu – 3 sudu mengikut selera kepanasan

19 Garam +-

20 Gula pasir 3 sudu

21 All spice ½ camca


Kaedah


Tanak nasi dengan air berlebihan.

Bila nasi dah kembang, masukkan bawang-bawang, halia, lengkuas, serai, asam keeping, ayam cincang. Biar 5 minit, kemudian masukkan pucuk paku, daun kesom, daun kunyit, daun kadok, daun keledek. After 10 min, masukkan sisi ikankering, isi ikan baker, serbuk lada hitam, santan, gula pasir, garam dan apa jua yang ada. Dah agak likat dan daun dah layu, masukkan santan pekat. Tambah garam jika perlu dan tutup api selepas 10 minit. Jangka masa masak 1 ½ - 2 jam api kecil.


Resipi ini ciptaan sendiri. Sedap atau tidak tidak dijamin.


ikelah

Azmi said...

Nuraina...if you see me today you will not believe that this is the self same person who was flat out like a zombie just a few days ago!
Happy Mother's day to you and your loved ones too....

Proffs...wow, I will treasure the recipes! I have printed them out (4 pages tau!)to slip into my recipe book. I enjoy cooking. Certainly I will try out the bubur with ALL the pucuk2 and ulam2 ( I will chop up the H.bumi to garnish the bubur for any misbehaving friends...?!!!) for my next gathering. The one I tried making today had only 10% of the ingredients and it was still very, very, yummy. I guess when you throw only good things in a pot, you cannot go wrong. I didn't realise that Bubur Lambuk uses fresh santan....hmmm, my air liuh meleleh oredi....! Thanks again!

As for my WBC, tak tahu lah. I just wonder if I do nothing, that is not get boosters, will the WBC count "repair" itself in the third week after chemo? I am beginning to feel like a mobile pharmacy with all these drugs in my body. Hopefully the midin will help. I will be getting a weekly supply now that a friend discovered that the Section 17 PJ Pasar Malam (on Thursdays)has a vegetable seller who sellsMidin and other local ulaman. Just greaat!