Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Still Feeling Bloated....

May 29 (Day 6 of cycle 3)

I did not manage a full night's sleep and woke up quite early to sit up in bed. The cramps had lessened somewhat but I was still experiencing a very bloated feeling in my tummy and it felt uncomfortable lying down so I had to sit up and lean back against my headboard. I remained in that position until I heard Kakak waking up and going about her normal chores.


I had some oats and milo for breakfast and later sipped the hot ginger infusion again. The spasms had ceased but the bloated feeling persisted. I decided not to go to the doctor's as it felt manageable and I wasn't feeling as bad as before. I had absolutely no appetite for lunch and could only managed a few pieces of cream crackers and warm Milo. And a few cubes of papaya. Just when I was supposed to eat really well my appetite and common sense had taken leave of me. I have not been drinking my 8 glasses as the sight of plain water really put me off. How strange.


I had to coax myself to drink ginger flavoured warm water, at least the warm ginger taste disguised the cold, unfriendly and undescribeable taste of plain water. Insya Allah, I was able to sip a few glasses of the stuff and my system managed to flush it out throughout the day. I felt tired and solat was sitting down.


Other than fruits, I did not take in any green vegetables or any other colored vegetables for that matter today. My appetite really went haywire, such a contrast to the cravings of the earlier few days. I was going to have a banana and some mangosteens, but only managed to stare hard at them and ended up giving the banana in little pieces to the neighbourhood squirrels that sometimes popped by to pinch Blackie's Whiskas.


I really felt tired throughout the day, I can't even write a card!. I now remembered that my Oncologist was going to give me something to boost my appetite that day, but I had mentioned that I didn't need any help with appetite. I guess he saw it coming. My favourite food doesn't turn me on now and the worst part is I am not even craving to eat anything and I now have to try and force myself to eat. So it will be back to substitute food ie Ensure. Just the thought of having to sip that creamy rich stuff is torture although I should be grateful that it will be a very easy and effective way to boost up my nutrient intake.


I thought of one of my chemo buddies who runs a restaurant. I wonder how she is managing if she had to be in the restaurant for pr purposes and then feels a sudden repulsion to all the lovely food that she had lovingly planned for the day. I am sure she will be able to work her way through that.


Deep breath. More deep breath. Perhaps just 1 or 2 more days of this bloated feeling. I can only imagine eating a burger for dinner and nothing else. If I can't manage even that, then it will be another glass of Ensure and more Milo and crackers. The burping continues. Toh, my left neighbour dropped by to see how I was getting on as he (and wife) hadn't seen me walking for the morning papers today and yesterday. He says it is good that I have put on some weight (Ya Allah, here we go again!) because he thinks that it makes the body stronger to withstand the side effects. He says to beep him if I need any help, any help at all. For a very private couple, that was very sweet of him and his wife.


I am trying to have an early night to catch up on last night's restless sleep. I wasn't able to have a nap in the day time. For 2 reasons - I didn't try hard enough incase I am not able to sleep tonight and also , it was too warm a day and I did not feel like being in the bedroom with the AC on during the day. That would have definitely made me feel like an invalid. Besides, when I was just about to have a quick 40 winks, Blackie and somebody's grey cat "bersilat" near my front gate and caused such a din, and I had to calm him down after that.


When Kakak came back had made me another magic infusion of ginger and gula melaka to sip before bedtime. She says it will also help with any muscular aches and pains as I have been lying around and not moving about too much. Even my arms are beginning to feel bloated due to much lying down. Insya Allah, tomorrow is a better day and I will go shopping for melons and stuff to release all these retained water and toxins. I got a few sharp tips from my blog buddies and I certainly will test them out.


If I still feel the slightest touch of bloating and nausea tomorrow ( and hopefully the spasms and cramps are gone for good for this cycle at least!), I will certainly need to check with the doctor as I should start feeling good on the 7th day. Then it is back to working on my WBC in time for the next in interim FBC.

3 comments:

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

Just drop by to assure you I am following your story and with you. Keep up your visualisation exercise.

You have a very nice nextdoor couple.Quiet and private, nevertheless observant.

Unknown said...

Azmi dear... I remembered well the days when I really lost my appetite and my smelling sense caught all kinds of weird smells around amking me really sick of wnating to throw up... but wasn't able to throw up... The fatigue and the lethargic feeling was horrendous... Remembered it to how I stuffed my mouth with food that Mak cooked coz I was damn worried if my body didn't have enough reserved... The tastebud was completely affected...everything was either bitter or bland...nothing in between...It's a torture of the body and mind... I know and feel you.

Please hang on... Brace this stormy weather with us ya...let me hold your hand and we push each other to the other end.

Semoga Allah mudahkan urusan you mengharungi dugaan ini ya...Amin.

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

Azmi,

I hope your bloatedness will go off soon.
Stay strong, dear Azmi.