Saturday, May 26, 2007

Up, Up and then Down, Flat Down!

May 26 (Day 3 of cycle 3)

I know I am not perfect. Although it is comforting to know that no one is perfect, I can't help feeling let down when I couldn't accomplish what I had set out to do today, not all that is.


There was a list of things to be done but some can wait for next week. I reserved today's time and energy for activities that can't wait - like joining the MPH Breakfast Club meet at BV2, The Readings session at Seksan Bangsar, and after Maghrib, Pak Long & Mak Long's extended family dinner in Damansara Heights as a send off for his son-in-law who will be assigned to Dubai by Schlumberger. I mustered enough strength despite the static nausea (not rumbling, thank God) and told myself, these will be my activities for today.


I got up as normal, bowel movement was okay (must be the syrup) and I had so much energy I decided to run the wash and hung up the pieces on the line. Nothing like sun-dried clothes vs the machine dried ones. I had 2 2-minute boiled eggs with wholemeal toast and 1/2mug of ovaltine, and RJ came to pick me up to go to the MPH meet.


We were lucky that although we were late, we managed to catch Lee Su Kim who was the first guest author, talking about her books and her experience in getting published. It is a small world, her late husband and I were working for the same multinational company. Her latest book "A Nyonya In Texas" is fun and that must have been compiled while she accompanied him on his Houston assignment. She is an English Lecturer and has written a few books prior to this one. The second guest author is David Byck, a yankee married to a Malaysian and who feels Malaysian. His book "It is a LONG WAY to the Floor" is about personal change and he had accomplished this through his involvement in yoga and how the practice influenced his mental, physical and spiritual strength. Exactly what I needed right now. I enjoyed the sessions tremendously and after the talks, we mingled and helped ourselves to a generous spread of snacks and coffee/tea. Bumped into familiar faces-Chet, Yolande and Eric, who were at the only session I had been to prior to this.


RJ was quite worried for me and suggested that she sent me home after lunch at BV1, but I felt that since I am already out and about and no sign of fatigue other than a slight nausea, I reassured her that it was still fine to hop on to the next event, the Readings at Seksan. So there we were at this Studio-Bungalow, creatively structured with a back-to-nature feel right smack in the middle of Bangsar. There was even a "jaga" bed, that just in case the unthinkable happened and I had to lie down, we did not have to improvise at all! To be honest, by that time, the fatigue and nausea were making their presence felt, but I kept sucking on preserved ginger to settle the queasy feelings. It helped some.


If I was at home, I would probably be lying down and listening to some chill-out music. I would not have been able to read much or write as the printed words would give me a headache. So it was just perfect that I could lean back, closed my eyes and listened to the 6 guest readers for the day . Balan Moses read a few chapters from his Brickfield's memoir and it made me crave for Mee Goreng Mamak! Fay, Nora Adam, Nicholas Wong, Bernice Chauly and Wong Phui Nam were so inspiring with their creations that one can't help feeling so proud to be among so much talent that day. I can only hope that these sessions would continue thanks to the dedicated effort of Bernice Chauly and Sharon Bakar, who are fond names among the literary crowd in KL. I finished a whole bag of preserved ginger during the session and managed not to create a scene which would not have been on the agenda!


By the time RJ dropped me home, I realised I was quite pooped. After a quick shower, I fed Blackie the neighbourhood stray who adopted me, as he was already waiting for his feed by my porch. The sudden slow down in activities actually slowed me down and suddenly the fatigue just set in. I realised then that there is no way I could be in a social setting of 100 without drawing undue attention to myself should I feel sick or turn pale.


So despite much planning, and what I thought was energy conservation for the day , I was only able to accomplish 2 out of my 3 planned activities. I heeded what my doctor said, it's all in the mind, go ahead and do whatever you feel like doing while your energy lasts and forget the "what ifs". If the "what ifs" happen, then deal with it. So I had to make the unfortunate decision not to be at Pak Long's send-off dinner and I know they understood. As it turned out the family dispersed by about 2 am (!!!) and SM will send over some roti jala and beriani to today.


Well, 2 out of 3 wasn't too bad, compared to being flat out for almost 10 days during the last cycle. And hopefully this time, my car will not wander on it's own after I switch off the ignition and engage the handbrake!





Ashley the Cat says: "Tch, tch , tch Mama Mi......I know you are getting bigger but you are not The Incredible Hulk, you know....take it easy. Now if I had eavesdropped properly, I heard you are planning to go to Ikea to buy a bed for the spare room as your new maid is arriving....are you sure you are ready to go shopping in a crowd???? Huh? Just do one activity a day during your first week, and be a good girl and catch up on all these books that have been piling in the shelves...Remember you want to be fit for June 2's Relay For Life at Bukit Jalil, don't you. You want to be there to meet all the brave cancer survivors and their care-givers and volunteers. So take it easy, Mama Mi.........mwah...


6 comments:

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

You had already accomplished a lot. You did some household chores, went to 2 events.

I agree with your doctor. Live life to the hilt. You have done better than a lot of people with health on their side.

You are also a very good patient complying to doctor's advice.

Noted you listen to your body. We need to stretch ourselves a little but not too much to the point of stress.

Let's take challenge one day at a time.

HCI said...

Dear Azmi,

Which hospital do you get your chemo treatment. From your writing, I think you have received very good care, so I suspect must be a private center.

Don't worry about the ice, don't do much in reducing side effect. I only could stand it for two rounds only. Even Emend create problem in 5th and 6th cycle. It prevent vomiting but left your feeling chocked with nausea and restless. So what I did in the last two cycle, I did not take Kytril or Emend, but just stood by the sink and vomit all I want. Only be prepared, stand on a thick rug, cos you'll be incontinent, and that somebody is around to wash it for you. Kalau tak gi vomit dalam toilet.

It was so releiving, in fact, I vomit, sengaja, sebelum makan or minum, then lay quiet for 4 hours, and then go for next round of vomiting. In a way quite fun, :-)

take care

has.

Azmi said...

Hi&Lo,
you are right, I really should listen to my doctor and sometimes I err.....tend to be a bit degil(stubborn). Are you Malaysian? If you are, then you know that we Malaysians have our own comfort foods....only sometimes when it is not the right time and place, comfort is the last thing they bring. I will be more disciplined this time, enough of the recent discomforts that I totally deserved!

Azmi said...

Dear Proffs,
I am doing chemo at a private center closest to where I stay for practical reasons in case I have to manage emergencies alone...the non-private ones that I went to consult filled me with a lot of confidence that they will provide good care too, except the place is further from me. I think as long as we know our rights as patients and get a good doctor, it will help.

I feel tired whenever I vomitted with tears running down my face and I end up crying and feeling really miserable afterwards, that's why I have been avoiding getting into vomitting bouts. Also, takut jadi anorexic pula nanti, especially since now I can visually see how I have grown, macam belon kena pump, macam roti given extra yeast! Nanti kalau vomit, buat penat makan only to lose all the nutrients...

And ice, urgh....cannot even think of ice cubes. I tried to flavour the ones I have in the freezer but even those put me off, my tummy is churning as I write this.

I will have a good supply of midin, so I will make bubur lambuk a regular, it is nutrituous, has fibre,has proteins, has carbo, not greasy or spicy and very, very tasty. So thanks to you, I have a buffer to turn to whenever my crazy taste buds start craving for adventurous foods!

Thanks for the vomitting tip re incontinence....eeeek, really ke?

Azmi said...

A Malaysian In Riyadh,
hi, you mentioned in the previous post that you are not A......s and a guy. Hmmm, siape ye? Does your name has a V or M? C'mon lah, don't keep me in suspense, give me a clue and even if I get who you are, I will not publicise it in blogosphere.
I would call up SJB just to see if she remembers but no energy to do that now. I am as curious as my cats though and I know my mind will keep spinning to figure this out. I like to solve mysteries!

Did SJB really go pubcrawling? That's news to me, I think of her as a health freak and whenever I meet up with her it is for games and makan....she gets high on orange juice...so a pub???

Salamz

Anonymous said...

Dear Azmi
I’m certainly not Anis. Of course, not Ahmad Jais. Azam Aris, also no although I wish I could write incisively and tellingly like him. You ask for more clue. Here are some:

1. There are no M or V in my name. Hmm come to think of it, very rare for a Malay to have alphabet V in his name. Truth be told - my name actually starts with W. Infact my arwah grandfathers, arwah father, mother, brothers and sister all have their names begin with letter W. First mystery solved.

2. Although I’m not a keen tennis or squash player like SJB, I remember I took the trouble queuing for hours and hours to get tickets for the Wimbledon semifinal matches featuring the Big Four (McEnroe, Pat Cash, Jimmy Connors and Lendl) in 1984.

3. And talking about Wimbledon, on the occasion of my 21st birthday, I received a Wimbledon t-shirt from a group of daughters of prominent Tan Sri/Dato/OKB who were studying accounting/law with me at UEA. Yes, lovely and sweet.

4. I drove a nifty black Daihatsu turbo while working for Shell (maybe you pernah naik and after the ride exclaimed, NOT AGAIN – on the count of my infamous driving and for not being car-pride).

5. I remember SJB took us to your nice house in Sri Hartamas once and guess who we met there. Hold your breath now … a famous Chinese male clairvoyant. Err, I don’t remember I saw cats prancing around your house, clamouring for attention or a little stroking then.

6. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression re pub crawling. The bar hopping was more like cafĂ© crawling but we didn’t have DOME, STARBUCK, exclusive KOPITIAM etc etc in those days.

7. There is another person who used to hang out with us, M of PwC, who was later transferred to London. The last I heard M has settled down in Singapore. Coincidentally, PwC was (is still?) Shell’s external auditor. Hmmm …

Trust the above is more than sufficient. Don’t worry if you still can’t figure out who I am. That’s OK. But how can we forget you – so frightfully clever and an animated story teller.

If you get the chance to talk to SJB again, send my salam to her and I look forward to catch up with her soon, after all these years.

Oh by the way, I’m so glad SYABAS has finally acted in your favour. Read about your predicament in Nuraina’s blog first (yes you can say I’m stalking Jalan Sudin day and night). Then all of a sudden the post disappeared. Quite intriguing huh?

Must really stop now. I’ve taken more than my fair share. As always, my prayer is with you.

aMiR