Monday, May 28, 2007

It is possibly gastritis.......

May 28 (Day 5 of cycle 3)

Terrible day but at least I was forced to rest.


The discomfort in my tummy and the bloated feeling stayed with me all day. As much as I tried to ignore the feeling, I was unable to do much else to distract myself. Kind of hard to relax when I felt as though there were huge angular bubbles ready to erupt from my body. I have read that the chemo drugs can affect the lining of the digestive system and gastritis is a possible side effect.


That's the whole day gone as I cannot see myself going out to manage the errands that I had planned for the day. I was lucky that I was able to have a good shower and felt a little refreshed although the discomfort forced me to stay put on the sofa. Spent much of the day trying to rest, then got up to sort out some personal filing.


It was a really restless day, and I can hear every tick-tock of the clocks around the house and the sound of water dripping from the gutter. I couldn't read much, and jumped from one book to another. I had saved the special NST feature on The Pak Chik Sailors (in the UK)by Kak Teh from yesterday's paper and settled down to read that. I take my hat off to those Pak Chiks and, especially to Kak Teh for her ingenuity in covering their stories. The article made me sad though, how do they feel about being away when the country is about to celebrate 50 years of independence, can they or will they be back here?


My Oncologist wasn't at the Medical center when I called so I consulted the doctor who was standing in for him today. The doctor informed me that I should not feel too nauseous on the 5 th day due to the chemo drugs, and he guessed that it might be gastritis. He agreed that I should try munching some cream crackers and try to release the flatulence. Of course I dared not tell him of the Assam Laksa that I had the day before, which in retrospect could have given me an acid stomach. I was to turn up at the medical center if the discomfort continues tomorrow so that he can prescribe some relief but in the meantime did not suggest that I try anything at home.


I had like 10 errands to do today so they remained on the 'to-do' list for the time being while I sat like a contorted, bloated and bald Cleopatra on the sofa. When Kakak came home, she prepared a hot ginger and gula batu infusion for me to sip slowly and it did seem to help soothe the bloated feeling. I had to rub Minyak Cap Kapak on my temples, behind my neck and on my tummy and just below my rib cage. I should have thought of the Minyak Cap Kapak (MCK)earlier! The kids in our family grew up on that. My late Mum always had that in her bag and everything from a mild mosquito bite to a severe sprain could smoothly be healed when she rubbed some MCK on the problem spot. Even my niece Jannah, looks for MCK whenever she gets bitten by mosquitoes when back on a holiday in Malaysia.


I did not have any appetite for dinner due to the spasms and "memulas-mulas" feeling in my tummy, so I told Kakak that she does not have to prepare any food for me. SM, who dropped by to return a book, suggested that I should at least have a Milo and some cream crackers to help fill up my tummy and reduce the acidity, so I had that instead of a proper meal. I continued to burp a lot, and it made me wonder where all the gas is coming from since I hadn't eaten much at all today.


This is yet one of the down moments, which I know will pass and tomorrow I will look back on today and think "what a fuss for nothing". I certainly hope so. It didn't help that no one has visited my dad since I started my chemo, so I really must feel good very quickly so that I can pay him a visit soon. I have yet to inform him of the real nature of my illness. I will need to do so in a way that will not scare or worry him unnecessarily as I think he may feel a bit lost if he is aware that I am not as readily available as before.

11 comments:

HCI said...

Azmi, gastritis after chemo can be quite bad, drink milky stuff. Eat small but frequent meals, but don't let yourself go too heavy cos later susah nak kuruskan semula.

Many said that ginger can reduce nausea, but it worsen mine. If you have no problem with urination, then, take a lot of water melon and then the fluid will wash away the toxins. Water melon, all colors helped me during the nauseas episodes.

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

Your nauseau could also be due to gastritis. The reflux or what is known as heartburn makes you want to vomit.

Maalox is the best known antacid for this condition cos it contains simethicon which breaks down the gas in the stomach. It's lemon-sweet flavour.

Available in tablet and liquid form. 2 tablets a time and must be chewed.

You may ask your doc before you try it.

Unknown said...

Azmi Dear... I had nausea too and eating crackers really helped me... having oats drink also helped me...

This is not a moment that later you'll think "what a fuss for nothing"... This is a moment that the chemo attacks the body system and makes it haywire... you don't like it I know, me too the last time, infact I came to a point that I hated myself more since I couldn't smell this and that especially the aroma coming from cooked food... but it's not our normal system that's functioning...so take it easy... it's ok to let the grudge out... release it and let it out...

Hang on in there sister...

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

Am very proud of all the people who chip in to cheer you on. Everyone here is so sincere in giving and sharing with you. Altruism is very much alive.

Yes, I agree with Has and Raden Galoh. You need to take small bites to prevent gas from building up in your stomach.

What is good for one person may not apply in another person with the same condition. So, you have to test it to see how it goes with you.

For crackers, there are nice flavour ones by Lexus. They are nicely packed 2 or 3 pcs in each small pack.

Azmi said...

Dear Proffs,
thanks....I am seeing the dr this morning to get some medication for my gastric in case it crops up again ( it did at 4 am this morning but gone now). Thanks so much for the tips...will get the melons. The ginger seems to soothe me, and I recall my late Mum used to boil that whenever she has "angin".
Insya Allah....Azmi May 30.

Azmi said...

Dear Hi& Lo,
thanks so much for your vigilance...I had never experienced gastritis before so this is new for me. I will check with the dr who I will be seeing today. Planning to make a trip to Melaka tomorrow to see my dad so I would want to bring along some gastric relief medications just in case.

I have all kinds of cream crackers stocked up from my surgery days (gifts from friends and siblings) so there's ample supply for now. The Lexus ones are not too bad, ada vegetable flavour too.

Am feeling less bloated but the mild spasms still there, so mood is also better this morning.

Thanks for your tips & suggesstions..and isn't it great that despite the hectic demands of modern living where individual achievement is highly prized amongst various circles, altruism is very much alive!

Azmi said...

Dear Raden,
thanks my dear....I feel assured to know that this is something someone else had experienced and managed to pull out of. Yes, positive thinking ke, visualisation ke, sometimes when your senses go haywire, the mind has to be let free to do it's own bidding that is to feel really yucky and then, brace ourselves up to control it. Last night I had just a burger and was struggling to finish it. Kakak made healthful looking kerabu pucuk paku and ikan tenggiri goreng kicap so that I can get my nutrients, but I can't even look at them, let alone smell and eat them.
I feel much better today, less severe spasms and just slightly bloated, and hopefully this is a good sign that I will be back to "normal" soon. The funny thing is when I thought the feeling's gone, it came back, and when I was in pain and called the dr, it went off soon as I am off the phone???

It's the mind, time to control the mind....

Azmi said...

Dear aMiR,
thanks for the long list of clues....hokay.....I think I know who you are now...what a small world, ye. Your children would have "W" in their names too, correct? It is amazing how you can remember details that I had completely forgotten about my past....and I thought I keep good journals/diaries. A chinese clairvoyant-whatever for? Fung Shui for my then new house? Looks like I have to interview others if ever I want to write my own memoir as so many things (especially weird ones) had escaped my memory...!And I know I have been ringleader to quite a few daring "no-one-else-dare-do-it" episodes. Aah...the innocent and carefree days of youth! Seems like another lifetime and ages ago.

Trust you are doing fine in Riyadh, so you are an Alhaj, I am assuming, so lucky you. If there is any envy that I have for anyone right now, it is for those lucky ones who have had the chance to complete their Hajj when they are still young and strong and fit....

My best wishes to you always...I am so, so baik now...my cats keep me grounded!Really.Now this.

Azmi said...

Dear Ena,
thanks for your comment in previous post. I am better now, thanks..the gastric cramps should disappear once I counter them with the medications that I hope to get from the dr today.

Insya Allah next week, free for coffee at Curve/Ikano when I am back to normal?

Azmi said...

Dear Kak Teh,
thanks for the cyber hug in previous post, here's one back - for that great Pak Chik Sailors article. I felt so "sayu" reading about them and they are so lucky their story has been recorded and captured and not lost forever.

Feeling much better, spasms and bloating not as intense as yesterday...trust you are keeping well, heard the weather's been good there..cats ok? More gifts?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, how about your carefree days in TKC? Am sure many of your contemporaries are eager to contribute.

Yes, we are so fortunate to be able to perform Hajj in 1427 without much hassle. I heard there were 4 millions pilgrims at that time. My wife was 5 months pregnant then and we had two pre-puberty kids in tow as well. Alhamdulillah, the Hajj group that we joined from Riyadh comprising Malaysian doctors, Islamic bankers, diplomats, nurses, telco engineers, architects and designers helped to make our hajj a success, insyallah.

By the way, we are now in Mekah this weekend, and we brought one-month old baby Elham with us.

I reckon the gastric is just a minor setback and nothing serious, based on your recent post. I'm sure it happened for a reason. May you get better and better each day,

aMiR (now in Mekah)