Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Tomorrow is D-Day for Cycle 3!

May 23 (Day 21 of Cycle 2)

Finally it is here.....the approach of another cycle (tomorrow). After 2 cycles, I should know what to expect in the next one, but then again as experienced recently, cycle 2 was rather different from cycle 1. The change in the anti-emetics(anti-nausea medication) made some difference so if I am thinking of requesting yet another change then I need to be prepared for new surprises. There will be a trade-off I suppose. If I do not want to be fatigued for too long, then there will be a price, and I wonder what it will be.
I really should not worry too much about it as I can ask my Oncolgist to explain fully the potential side effects if I were to change to Kytril.


I had my head shaved clean this evening. I forgot that Jeff's was closed today as Wednesday is his off-day. So while the enthusiasm was still high, I trooped over to the Barber Shop 3 streets away from my house. The guy was surprised to see me (and Kakak, who I brought along for moral support) and mentioned that he cuts hair for men only. When I explained to him that I didn't need a re-style but a clean shave, he looked initially surprised and later agreed. He was at the time, trimming the hair of a customer, who happened to be a Doctor with UMMC and knows Prof Yip and Dr Christina Ng there, and is also a neighbour of my Breast Surgeon at Pantai. Small world. He helped to explain to the Barber, why I looked like I did when I removed my cap!


My Boy Troy says: "Don't worry Mama Mi.....go ahead and shave your head clean. It will help cool you off whenever those hot flashes strike you......and of course them hair will grow back in good time. Remember when you had the Vet shave the fur from my legs when he wanted to treat my injury? See, I am all hairy again now........So, don't worry lah..."




I think I must have been the first female customer for the Barber . It was such a traumatic experience. For him. Not for me, as I had been planning and was therefore quite prepared to face the occasion. However, it takes more than preparedness and a thick skin to be brave enough to "tolerate" the gadget that he had to ply throughout my scalp. The buzzing and the sort of ticklish sensation when the tip of the electric shaver grazes over my scalp did give me the creeps. Each time he puts the shaver on my head, I yelped like a puppy. It took quite a number of "shaves" to smoothen my scalp, so he elicited as much yelps from me. I must have made him very nervous. The poor guy took it in his stride however, especially since he was being encouraged by the good doctor earlier that he will be doing me a good turn! And all that for RM 13. I didn't like the number 13 so I gave him 15.
It felt good! I felt extra clean and "pure"? No, maybe pure is not the right word, but what I see in the mirror now is just me, no frills, just plain old me with veins showing through my clean scalp and I discovered that I have some tahi lalat (moles) on the left side of my head! I think of the Tibetan nuns who walk around looking calm and serene without a strand of hair on their heads and wondered on their rationale for shaving their heads when committing themselves to their spiritual beliefs. They must feel as I am feeling now. It's a liberating feeling, and it is so calming. After having said all that, I seriously hope mine will grow back after all my chemo treatments are completed. I will get a mug shot of my clean look to keep for posterity. And may post one in my blog....if I dare.
Ya Allah, I hope my FBC will be good tomorrow so that I can proceed with the 3rd cycle. I have tried my best to eat well to get my blood count in order and I hope it will produce results as expected. I plan to get admitted for a day if I am trying out a new anti-emetic medication just in case the side-effects are unmanageable on my own. UZUN said she will pick me up to send me home whenever I am done with the chemo and discharged from the ward. Mentally I need to prepare myself and accept the fact that this will be another round of roller-coaster rides and I will experience similar down cycles in mood and energy levels before the up cycles can be enjoyed. I am just hoping that my system will cope well with yet another onslaught of FEC/CEF doses. Insya Allah.
p.s- I had a lovely meeting with Ena Samad for coffee this morning and appreciated her sharing with me on her experience with BC in her family. I am also now reminded that I need to check out how my friend JT is doing with her herbal treatment for BC. She has managed beautifully for the last 2 years and I am very happy for her. We are supposed to meet up at the upcoming Relay For Life, as she is also very keen to participate ( she runs everyday).

17 comments:

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

I always love your sense of humour. You finally met up with Nuraina Samad.

Don't worry. I am with you in spirit in the rollercoaster ride.

No matter what, you are a champion in the making. With your strong faith in God, you shall overcome.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Azmi
What a humbling experience to read all your blogs (four currently). I pray for your good health. Amazed at your capacity to write. But I'm not surprised. I used to melopong dengar all your cerita when we were together with SJB (of Shell), way back in the late 80s. I remember on one ocassion the three of us watched the Warna-warna Malaysia extravaganza organised by Tourism Malaysia (TDC then) near Dataran Merdeka and we made a spectacle of ourselves doing the bhagra with the professional bhagra dancers. You may not recall me - but that's OK, I was a mere spring chicken then (so toye, he he). So awed by your faith and resilience. You have a fighting chance of success, insyaAllah.
aMiR

Unknown said...

Azmi...my prayer is with you...as always. I know you a strong person. Hopefully this 3rd cycle, will be another smooth ya...

It's actually my right arm that's having the lethargic feeling. My mastec was on the left breast so I kindda used to the lengoh sensation on my left arm...yeah always do the exercises, afraid it causes lymphedema...

Since it's the right arm for the normal breast, that's giving a jump a bit la... Will wait for tomorrow.

HCI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HCI said...

azmi, i hope you're o.k by now. cheers.

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

azmi, i hope you're okay today.
aah... got your head shaven. must look so cool.
and when you get better and have nothing better to do, we'll go the Curve or somewhere.
The coffee was good, huh?
It ws a lovely way to spend the morning, Azmi. Thank you for such wonderful company. Did you know we talked and talked for 2 hours?
Take care, now.

PS: Hi&Lo, no wonder I could feel a presence... it was you!

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

How are you today? If you are lying down, you may like to try some simple breathing exercise.

Put your two hands on your stomach and breathe with your diaphram. Focus your mind on the rise and fall of your breath.

Think of nothing else. If any thought comes to mind, just aware but don't suppress. Let it go naturally.

Try it for a minute or two. Or you may try to use a verse from your holy scripture.

Eg: As I breathe in slowly, I think of God's goodness is great. Breathing out, I release all fears, doubts and anger - surrendering to One who is most loving.

You may experience serenity in God's presence.

Re: Nuraina - I am very pleased and honoured to be included in spirit in your coffee date. With our hearts and minds, distance is no barrier.

Thank you, Nuraina and Azmi for the friendship.

Kak Teh said...

azmi, sorry - i have been quiet - loads of things to do and also, something wrong with pc/laptop. hope all is well with you.

i see hi&lo is here -he is one to give moral support. You've got lots of friends to cheer you on azmi. take care.

Azmi said...

Hi&Lo,
I will certainly give it a try. I am trying my best to fight the nausea, it is right there in the pit of my tummy but I am holding on. InsyaAllah, the add-on medications should help, we will see.
Again thank you for the helpful tips and I will test them out....

Azmi said...

aMiR,
hmm...u know me and I can't guess your identity, that was ages ago when I would go dancing in a crowd, and Bhangra too! More than 20 yrs ago. SJB and I have lost touch unfortunately but certainly if I bump into her I will try to refresh my memory. I remember parking at the Lake club and we walked to the Dataran. Are you Roy?
In anycase, welcome to my blog(s) and thanks for visiting.
Are you really in Riyadh and still with Shell?
Salamz,

Azmi said...

Raden,
sorry my dear, I missed you at the NCSM. I had a visitor, my friend who went MIA on her golden birthday and was keen to listen to her "story"! My friend RJ who stayed with me after the chemo, drove me to NCSM but we only managed to leave the house about 1130 or so and by the time we got there, you had left. I understand from the lady in the room next to Dr Sulaiman's you seemed ok so I am hoping the review went well, Insya Allah. I went up to Adeline to get more some registration forms and met some of the volunteers working really hard for the June 2 event. I couldn't stay very long as I was feeling queasy, and I had also planned to visit a friend who had just broken a leg(!) just 2 weeks after her retirement! I only knew about is last night aftr I was discharged from the ward!
Take care, let us know how the session with Dr Sulaiman went....
Salamz,

Azmi said...

Proff Has,
I am fine...just bought a "ticket" to the 3rd rollercoaster ride. This time my Oncologist started me with Kytril and Dexa pre chemo, then the usual WMDs of FEC. I checked into the ward for 3/4 day as he wanted to infuse some vitamins to help with the fatigue. He wanted me to continue with Emend, but supplied me with salt tablets and an anit-consti liquid that tasted quite good that I needed to take for 5 days , whether or not I am constipated. So Insya Allah, I will manage it better....pergi keluar ke ncsm and then all the way to Melawati to visit a longtime friend who broke a leg and grounded until Dec.
Now I am back home, lembik macam sayur layu....

Azmi said...

Ena,

i think we spoke for more than 2 hours lah....no intermission, if I recall! I then had lunch with my friend at the new cafe/furniture shop run by a Singaporean couple(opp. Ajidon Alley). Very nice, Nasi Ambang, and other lovely dishes. Saw Ferhad and his wife there...lovely couple.

Yes, Insya Allah, the Curve here I come after I get the boosters done.
See you, soon...

Azmi said...

Kak Teh,
my pc pun going crazy, Ijust keyed in a reply to you and it vanished..
No worries....lah,I understand.

Yeah, Hi&Lo has been very inspiring, I enjoy his perspectives on things...

Take care Kak Teh, hope you take time to relax amidst your busy schedule.....and write that book, ya...

Anonymous said...

Azmi
I have also lost contact with SJB. After I left Shell in 1989, I visited her a few times in Bukit Damansara from Penang. Then I left for Sydney and we haven't been in touch since. No I'm not Roy. Yes, I am now in Riyadh, with my family. Keep well, k.

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

Pls take care. Don't overstrain yourself. You don't have to reply individually if you are tired. Am positive all of us understand.

I was very depressed until I came across Kak Teh's Choc-a-blog. Her warmth and kindness helps me to regain my perspective. There's miracle in kindness.

Happiness is an antidote to pain. If nauseau is troubling you, ask God by faith to take it away. Thank Him for creating you with love.

Chet said...

Hey Azmi

It was great seeing you again today - not once but twice!

I'm much encouraged by your strength and courage. You're an inspiration.

Go on, post your clean head on your blog. If you need any company, I had my clean head, too, but that was quite a few years ago, and it was simply because I wanted to. I have a picture on my blog.

Chet