Saturday, June 23, 2007

Day 10 - Lots of Catching up to do

June 23 (Day 10 of Cycle 4)

It is day 10 when my wbc is supposed to be at it's lowest, at the bottom of a "V" graph if I were to plot one. The mission between now and July 3 is to see if my body will start to recover and build up on its own the wbc which have been hammered by the 4th cycle chemo drugs. I felt quite excited to see the outcome of this "experiment" and at the same time will give my body all the help it needs via a proper diet (blood enhancing one) and plenty of rest and avoiding crowds and sick people ( ie people who are sick who can infect m, and people who can make me sick and stress me and depress my immunity further).


In other words, stay at home. However, with my low moods lifted and I am close to feeling "normal" it is difficult to stay home. Luckily a friend who just returned from a biztrip in Bali called me up for breakfast and we ended up at Marmalade in Mt K. where there were more people there. It was nice to catch up that I forgot all about the MPH monthly breakfast club meet at BV 2 which would have been a good way to pass the time, until a friend sms-ed me to check if I was going. My breakfast ended in time for lunch and it was too late to go to BV2.


Some friends visited in the afternoon and Vik prepared her specialty-Meehoon goreng. We certainly yakked away and I was also trying to catch up on my reading ( imagine I didn't read any book pages since the chemo on June 14!). No wonder my mind felt clogged up like a stuck drain, and the chemo didn't help of course. I was trying to finish up a very depressing but inspirational book about life in a Nazi concentration camp and how, despite all adversities and death staring them in the face every second of the day , these people survived through the physical and mental anguish and torture. During the last 10 days the book spoilt my moods instead of improving it or inspiring me so I flung it under the bed because I did not want to see it. With my recharged mood, I fished it out again and completed it. It was funny how Vik placed the book on my bed whn she found it when doing my room and I kept flinging it under the bed, and she kept putting it back on my bed. This went on for days....


My bloated tummy feeling persisted and eating was still a problem. When my friends ( a trio of sisters, Mums on their evening out solo without their families who have their own programs) sms-ed to say they were going banana leaf for dinner after maghrib and if I wanted to join them, I jumped at the idea. My 3 guests and I trooped over to Nirvana Maju in Bangsar and we had a lovely banana leaf dinner washed down with ginger serbat.

It was close to 11 when we got back. Golden girls on ther night out and no one would have guessed that one of them is a real fuss-pot chemo patient trying to get some decent food in her tummy without burping in public. We seemed to bump into everyone that night. My friend's son must be so, so bored being the only male in the group and surely must have wished that he was at home watching Astro or surfing the net...But if he had been really listening to what was being discussed at the table that night, he would realise that even the internet and www would not have been able to supply as much information as provided by the conversation that night. I almost fainted when one of the ladies asked me if I want to go for supper before they send me home!

No comments: