Sunday, June 3, 2007

Interim Blood Count (FBC) tomorrow

June 3 (Day 11 of Cycle 3)


Rosella Petals ( also known as Ribena Flower or Hibiscus fruit)



I will be going for my interim FBC tomorrow and if my wbc count is low and less than 3.0 whatever, I will be given a booster over the next 2 days to prop up the count in time for the next chemo (the 4th cycle) on June 14. I don't really know what to expect, as I have tried, as before, to eat up for my wbc count (pucuk midin, kacang botol as well as beef broth from beef bones/marrow) but the effort seemed to keep it at 2.0++ but not more than 4.0. What I have not tried is ganoderma (linzhi mushroom) and that is because it is not easily available in shops. At least not anywhere near where I live.



When I buy something as important as a supplement to help my body recover, I have a strong preference to buy it from someone I can personally see, talk to and interview (more like asking silly and obvious questions, just to be sure).



In any case, que sera sera. I have been boiling red dates and drinking the infusion as it is supposed to help boost blood. The same with Rosella buds. These are fleshy red petals of what is locally known as "Hibiscus" fruit ( but really a flower) and the infusion, deep ribena coloured, tastes almost like cranberry or grape juice, sourish-sweet and very pleasant to drink and thirst quenching. Especially useful to get me to drink as my tastebuds have now developed an aversion to plain water, especially if I see ice cubes floating in the glass which would trigger a wave of nausea. The only plain drink that I can handle right now is air zam zam, but my supply is running out and saving that for severe gastric attacks as the high ph content of the water is very soothing for an acid tummy.



I must remember to check with the doctor about this hardening of the veins in my wrist and forearm (right, non-surgery side) and explore what could have been a probable cause. Someone I met at the Relay For Life event mentioned that I might be developing "kelloids"(??) in the area where the chemo injections were done and I need to make sure I massage the area after each treatment to prevent kelloids. If this is true, then I have to admit that I wasn't aware that it was something I had to do, so did not do it. Infact, I had avoided touching or rubbing the area where the chemo was done in case I rupture or injure a vein. Or so I had thought.



So the new piece of information that I should be massaging it well after treatment was and is news indeed to me and I wonder why I have not been instructed or advised to do this. It is usual for some saline to be continuously dripped to flush out the veins after each chemo session is done and I remember this was done at the last cycle. In any case, I am sure there will be an explanation and that if required, I will be prescribed whatever necessary to help relieve the feeling of tightness in my forearm.



I spent 7 hours away from home today. At 3pm, SNA and her son came by, SMM later joined in and we ended up going to Ikea at Ikano. I ended up buying a bed for the maid ( she will be more of an assistant than a maid as I don't really need a maid) who will be joining my household by the end of the coming week. SMM got a typist chair for me as an early birthday present as they see how much time I spent on the computer but sitting on an antique chair which is all wrong ergonomically for long bouts of keyboarding on a desktop.



Ikea was so crowded, today being Sunday, the school holidays and start of the month ( fresh from payday), and I really had to make sure I didn't get trapped within a crowd that might be sneezing or coughing. The place was so packed and we had to inch our way through the maze of Ikea aisles and display items as though we were on a conducted tour of a museum or gallery on a package holiday....! I felt like fainting by the time we reached the Cashier and luckily my friend's son was able to get some hot Ikea currypuffs ( very tasty with egg) for us to munch through while waiting in the queue! Okay, the currypuffs only contained very mild curry flavoured potato and egg filling so I don't think my Onco will be displeased.



After afternoon tea at a very cosy teaplace at The Curve (it was pouring cats and dogs outside) we decided to go to Tesco to get the weekly grocery shopping done. We spent quite a bit of time at Tesco as there wasn't much point rushing back as we would have been caught in the traffic jam outside. My tummy was beginning to feel sharp again, so we decided to have dinner before heading for home. Dinner was at Madam Lim's - a wide variety of one-dish meals at very reasonable prices and very,very tasty. Everyone enjoyed their selection tonight. I had a mild Meehoon Soup with absolutely no accompanying cili padi in soysauce. I took some Gaviscon afterwards.



And believe it or not, we stopped by Kayu for "one for the road" Teh Tarik before we actually headed home. We were still caught in traffic at 10.15pm and it was just as well that we made use of the loos at The Curve or else SNA will have some people bursting their bladders in her MPV while we inch our way back to Sri Hartamas.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Really hope that your wbc is normal...

Wow... Ikea... I love going to that place...sometimes (most of the times0 not really beacsue I want to buy something but becasue it's a like a therapy...that is maybe what people say retail therapy is...hehehe

Hope we can meet up this wednesday...will sms you. Until then, take care Azmi.

Azmi said...

Dear Raden,
ya Insya Allah we can meet up for lunch or something on Wed June 6. You know the cafe up in Kinokuniya, would you like to meet up there. I have not browsed in Kino for ages, I miss it, so I can "lepak" among the books and will go up to meet you soon as I get your sms. Pl let me know what time is good for you. See you...