Monday, June 18, 2007

Days 3, 4 and 5 of Cycle 4 - zonked!

June 18 (Day 5 of Cycle 4)

I am feeling rather sloppy for not keeping up with the daily blog entry but I have been conscientous about updating the medical journal on a daily basis. Reasons for the sloppiness is an inability to sit up for a an extended period at my desk and also the awkward feeling in my rather swollen wrist (right) over the weekend. If the swelling does not subside after gentle massage with medicated oil, it will definitely warrant another call or visit to the doctors. My palm and fingers look cute and chubby, just like a plump baby's, except that plump babies don't feel a tightness or stiffness in their fingers. The stiffness made it a bit difficult to type without being conscious of the nagging swelling. I am unable to fit my wrist watch ( which normally rolls around my wrist) onto my right wrist.


I spent the entire day just resting, flat out on the sofa after my brother Ijan and friend RJ left for Melaka. Ijab was here to join the garage sale with a small collection of dvds that he no longer wanted to keep. Reading was out of the question as the words swim before my eyes and my guts started to well up if I sit up. So, another bout of Cleopatra posting to ease the queasy feeling. I couldn't really eat lunch, Sup Tulang, Choy Sam masak lemak and Ikan Goreng with onions and tomatoes so I got Vik to fry some ikan sepat to work up an appetite. It worked some.

I must have exerted myself unnecessarily on both Saturday and Sunday moving about instead of staying put.


Saturday June 16 (Day 3 of Cycle 4)

I was really gung-ho early in the morning after solat. I got Vik to pull out all the boxes from the store and I peeked inside to decide if the boxes should go to the porch for the garage sale. I have a lot of "competition" this time, as just down my road, 8 families pooled together to have their sale in one house so they had tons of stuff to offer.

2 of my friends joined my venue. It was fun to see the stuff clearing away and to realise that we have been keeping these items hoarded when others can really made use of them. I cleared designer sports bags, handbags and sports equipment (Tennis/Squash rackets) and loads of work clothes. Suits at RM10 (!!!) and tops at RM1-5 ! We also gave away some clothes free if someone buys a lot. I am left with a rack of clothes which which will be given away soon, perhaps to RSPCA. There were some old framed prints ( some originals) sold at RM 1 to little girls who were looking for Father's day gifts for their daddies.

I was totally exhausted by the time we were through about noon. Thank God Vik is around to help with sorting out the aftermath. My friends came by later to check out what's left. The heavens poured and I had some hungry friends trapped in the house. As it was a Saturday and I normally do grocery shopping on Sundays, we were lucky that Vik was able to put together a lil of this and a lil of that to come up with a simple but delicious bihun goreng. We ate ravenously, even me!


Sunday June 17 (Day 4 of Cycle 4)

It is Father's Day and I felt a bit sad that I was not able to visit and spend some time with my Dad at the home. The plan was to make a day trip with SNA but at the last minute something happened and she was unable to drive me there. I am one who is rather poor at dealing with last minute changes like this especially when I was looking forward to it but I had learnt to manage my expectations once I know that my plans are not my own anymore once I am hinged to assistance from others. I consoled myself by saying that once I get my booster shot done, we could make the trip another day and this time perhaps stay longer.


Sunday as usual is newspaper reading day, and I can't help feeling just slightly miserable reading about the various Father's Day celebrations undertaken by others with their fathers. I was not in the mood to call up any of my siblings to find out what their plans were as something tells me that what I hear may not help to make me feel any better.

Spent the evening at home with Ijan and my friend UZUN who dropped by about tea-time on her way to her hairdresser. The it was a night out at Bangsar for dinner as Ijan loves the food at Nirvana. I had the fried fish and went easy on the curry in case my tummy plays up again like the last time. ZZN and her daughter joined us at Nirvana and tired as I was, it felt good to be walking around in the cool night air buying some supplies for the week.


Someone mentioned that fish with scales are good to eat ( although I wasn't sure if we have to remove the scales or crisp-fry them so the scales can be ingested) for cancer. I must admit it is the first time I hear of this, but fish is not a drug and it is a protein, so I wouldn't mind giving it a try. We saw some fish at the night market that looked like the RM4 per piece ikan bulus goreng at Nirvana ( complete with fine scales) and we bought a tray at RM 10. After she cleaned the fish, Vik said she counted 31 pieces of fish, all for the price of RM 10 when just a while earlier 5 of us had a banana leaf meal for RM 50 with a drink, a fried fish each and a mutton curry for sharing!

I was totally zonked out by the time we got home and prayed for my dad that he wasn't too depressed or disappointed that no one went to see him today. I consoled myself that I had always tried my best to see him, Father's Day or not, so I shouldn't feel too guilty. But it is difficult not to.


1 comment:

Hi&Lo said...

Azmi,

You are very spunky despite your discomfort.

You had also help some girls to get beautiful gifts for their dads at only a token price.

You might not have the chance to be with your Bapak on Father's Day. Let it be a comfort you had helped some fathers felt greatly appreciated thru you generousity.

PS your journal is more impt than responding in the comment.